Friday, October 26, 2007

#17: Technology

Technology n. 1a. The application of science, especially to industrial or commercial objectives. b. The scientific method and material used to achieve a commercial or industrial objective. 2. Electronic or digital products and systems considered as a group: a store specializing in office technology. 3. The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and extracting or collecting materials.

Blogging about anything related to technology is almost like asking someone to blog about anything related to the environment or to history. I suppose I could focus this post on bras, automobiles, kitchen cupboards, or books. All of these are technologies. I don't mean to be persnickety, but this is a difficult task for anyone whose entire life is surrounded by disparate technologies each with different lasting effects on culture and society.

All ranting aside, the technologies introduced thus far have many practical applications; nevertheless, some I perceive as being more useful to my life and work than others. I do have to say that I have a soft spot for LibraryThing. And I had a good time playing around with photo editing and Flikr. And....I had a good time making an avatar and trying to figure out del.icio.us. And I've already had very positive experiences with subscribing to RSS feeds and wikis. Maybe I'm just a techno-floozy !

No comments: