Saturday, November 3, 2007

#18: Social Networking, or, Is My Life Really that Interesting?

Okay, so maybe I don't really believe that MySpace or FaceBook or whatever are for losers (as the graffiti tag might have you believe), but I've never really gotten the whole online social networking site phenomenon. My friends and I have done a pretty good job of keeping in touch without the need to "expose" our lives and our whiny-selves to the world; and I'm not sure I need another (albeit virtual) social venture to remind myself that I do not always make friends so easily. Moreover, I'm not sure that I could really spark others' interest with my textual/graphic/visual output to make many new friends.

However, I did enjoy Dogster and made a profile for my baby Lilly (a.k.a. Lilly Fried Chicken). I found it really helpful in finding a vet and off-leash dog parks in the area (since we recently moved). Threadless was certainly cool and crafty (things I certainly aspire to be) and really sparked me to think about some teen fashion programs. RateMySpace only made me wish I could put more time and effort into making our home decor a little jazzier and did not make me really wish to share my ideas with the world (to have them rate how my partner and I choose to make our living quarters comfortable) or to network with other home decoration savvy-deficient people.

I don't think I'll ever be a MySpace or FaceBook kind of gal. It isn't really my scene on or off-line.

No comments: