Monday, November 19, 2007

#23: I Made It...and other fabulous things

I can't believe it is finally here! I cannot believe I am writing my twenty-third iHCPL response! First, I particularly enjoyed: making my avatar, spending more time cataloging my books through LibraryThing, blogging about all of my investigations, discovering all the fabulous e-Audiobooks HCPL has available, getting some training credit to play around with Flickr and YouTube, registering my own del.icio.us account, and playing with image generators and editors. I don't know particularly if iHCPL has modified my path of life-long learning (as many of the exercises involved using services and technologies with which I was already familiar and sometimes frequently used); but it has made me hopeful that I can stay in touch with new and emergent technologies throughout my career. Since the Children's Department here at Freeman has been discussing setting up a blog, we in the YA department have also considered doing something similar as a way to get the teens involved in the planning of programs, voting for what movies or anime they might want to watch for movie nights or our future anime club, giving us feedback on programs they have attended, highlighting new materials, and eliciting book, movie, music, etc. reviews from our teen patrons. I know that this is not the end of the road, by any means, and I look forward to spending more time discovering new resources on my own, in collaboration with friends and coworkers and our patrons, and hopefully to share my knowledge and experience to positively influence interactions with library patrons.

No comments: