Friday, November 16, 2007

#21: Podcasting Your Heart Out

I looked at both Podcast.net and Podcastalley.com and added the podcast "This Week in Houston," where local citizen/journalists describe upcoming events in the Bayou City. Because I'm still relatively new to the area, I thought it might be fun to hear about some of the great events, attractions, and individuals that make Houston a fabulous place to live. Of course...I'm one of only two subscribers...but I'm sure the word will spread (as I am doing right now!).

I think podcasts can be really fun. I have friends who have made crafty or d.i.y. podcasts and I can definitely see the usefulness of podcasting as an alternative media source and for community information/community building. I fairly recently taught a Teen Podcasting, 101, class and made a brief podcast from home (using audacity to record; iTunes to export as MP3; feedburner to make my blog's rss feed podcast-ready; and uploading my audiofile to OurMedia) as a demonstration. We only had two teens show up and they seemed a little peeved that there were so many steps to the process; but, nevertheless, once you kind of understand the process, it can be really easy and rewarding.

No comments: