Thursday, April 3, 2008

#27 Podcasting

I'm comfortable with podcasting technology and of making my blog's feed podcast-ready. I developed and hosted a podcasting program for teens at the Library last fall; of course, although it is realitively straight-forward and simple, the teens seemed to think it was "too hard." Mastery in a few minutes seems to have been the attendees' expectation. I've made podcasts in the past and, while I feel it could potentially be an awesome service, I do not feel I have the "stage" presence necessary to provide an exciting podcast or one worth the time of prospective users - just like some audiobooks are better than others based on the reader, some individuals are better at projecting excitement and at engaging with a distant audience.


I think what some people don't seem to realize is that having a successful podcast is extremely dependent on a vast amount of organization, planning, preperation, and patience in editing, as well as just having a basic knowledge of the technology. Knowing the technology is available and knowing how to mobilize it does not make a good podcast or one that people are willing to hear however often the podcasts are posted. I believe that is why so many of the most successful podcasts are coming from independent, alternative, as well as mainstream media sources; people who have a knowledge of how to put together a "package" seem to have had more business in terms of downloads. Just my two cents :)

No comments: