Thursday, April 3, 2008

#30 File and Folder Organization

I actually had a really great time with this exercise. The oldest files I deleted were those just barely over two years old that were held in a young adult folder since before I took my position...so I took what I could from the previous staff and refashioned and reformulated the labeling schema and file organization to best serve the needs we have now.
I also went through my personal folder and was able to delete several files that I no longer needed (just a few months old), such as proctoring forms, forms I'd downloaded to fill out but are available on Harriet, etc.
I was a little surprised by how organized our files had become by default or organically developed over time. Yes - there was some overlap and inconsistency with labels. Yes - there was some confusion as to what belongs in what folder. But with just a little clean-up I was able to affirm that I had become organized, that defunct files and folders were deleted, and I have done my duty to help keep the cost of storage down :o)

No comments: