Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Learning Experience: My Strengths and Pitfalls...

I'm a planner; I rigorously make myself lists of things to do (sometimes adding things I've already completed, just to cross them off...I know, I know, it is sad, but true) and feel tremendous satisfaction getting organized and setting goals. In this sense, I motivate myself very easily; if it is on my list...it is gonna get done.

I love to laugh and think that I have a very positive outlook and attitude. Not that I can't get a little grumpy from time-to-time, or completely and utterly frustrated when I'm having a hard time understanding something (like physics...argh...why do I care how long it will take for the stupid ball to roll down the hill and why is it so tricky to figure out!?!), but I also like to keep things in perspective (which, again, can sometimes be incredibly and surprisingly difficult).

I can acknowledge that I have a harder time giving myself credit for my accomplishments. I tend to blow my mistakes out of proportion (ahh! I only waved when she said goodbye, is she thinking I didn't see/hear her? Is she thinking I'm totally rude...? :o( - ). I also tend to focus on what I perceive as my weaknesses and push myself a little too hard sometimes. And, of course, I will many times devalue my own achievements (I didn't really struggle for this, it must not be worthy - or - I have such a supportive husband and family; I was only able to do this because of them...no other reason, nothing else makes sense). This is something I really need to work on; but I'm very willing (and I think able).

No comments: